Some useful definitions if you are new to the sport of triathlon.
- Triathlon: Triathlon is sport comprising of 3 disciplines raced one after the other - it starts with a swim leg, then transitions onto a cycle leg and finishes with a run.
- Start Waves: Smaller groups of athletes that begin the race every few minutes. Waves are usually determined by age group and gender. Wave starts are more common in races where a large number of athletes are competing.
- Swim Leg: The part of the race where the athlete swims. The swim leg is the start of the race and it ends once you exit the water before entering the transition area. The swim route is marked out using buoys.
- Sighting: Raising the head during swimming to look for landmarks or buoys that mark the swim course.
- Buoy: A floating device that marks the course of the swim leg.
- Transition Area: A defined area in which an athlete stores their bicycle and various other equipment. This is where the change over from swimming to cycling and cycling to running occur. The transition from swim and bike is referred to as T1 and that between the bike and run is referred to as T2. The overall race time includes time spent in T1 and T2.
- Bike Leg: Part of the race course where the bike is to be ridden. The bike course starts at the Mount Line and finishes at the Dismount Line.
- Mount Line: A designated line at the exit from transition after which athletes are to mount their bicycles and ride. The Mount Line will be clearly identified by flags/line/Technical Official, or combinations thereof.
- Dismount Line: A clearly marked designated line at the entrance to Transition from the bike course before which athletes are to dismount their bikes fully and walk/run to the bike racks.
- Drafting: A technique where two or more cyclists, cycle in a in a close group to reduce the effect of drag by using the front bicycle’s slipstream. Reminder, this is a NON Draft legal event.
- Tri Bars: (Triathlon bars/Aero bars) aerodynamic handlebars that draw the body forward into a tucked position.
- Run Course: Part of the race course where the athlete is to run or walk. The run course commences at the exit from the Transition Area and finishes at the Finish Line.
- Splits: The time that it takes to complete a specific distance. In triathlon splits are usually given for the swim, bike and run legs. Splits can also be given for the two transitions (T1 & T2) and for various portions of the three individual legs.
What is the date of the event?
The ITU World Triathlon Abu Dhabi 2018 will take place on Friday 2 and Saturday 3 March 2018. The races will take places on the following dates*:
- Junior races: Friday 2 March 2018
- Adult age group bike racking: Friday 2 March 2018
- Sprint age group race: Saturday 3 March 2018
- Olympic age group race: Saturday 3 March 2018
- Middle age group race: Saturday 3 March 2018
* Schedule it subject to change. We will announce the detailed schedule in early 2018.
Can I sign up?
Entries for the 2018 ITU World Triathlon Abu Dhabi are now open with a special earlybird entry price (10% discount) until 31 October 2017 or until the earlybird slots fill up (whichever comes first). Click here to sign up.
For those travelling from overseas, international packages are available now. Click here for more information or email ITUTriathlonAUH@etihad.ae.
What are the race categories and prices for entry?
|ADULT CATEGORY||SWIM||BIKE||RUN||EARLYBIRD PRICE||REGULAR PRICE||LATE PRICE|
|Sprint Individual||750m||20km||5km||AED 405||AED 450||AED 495|
|Sprint Team||750m||20km||5km||AED 608||AED 675||AED 743|
|Olympic Individual||1500m||40km||10km||AED 495||AED 550||AED 605|
|Olympic Team||1500m||40km||10km||AED 743||AED 825||AED 908|
|Middle Individual||1900m||90km||21km||AED 675||AED 750||AED 825|
|Middle Team||1900m||90km||21km||AED 1,103||AED 1,125||AED 1,238|
|JUNIOR CATEGORY||LEG 1||LEG 2||LEG 3||EARLYBIRD||REGULAR||LATE|
|Mini 1km (5-8 yrs)||1km run||-||-||AED 54||AED 60||AED 66|
|Kids Duathlon (7-9, 10-11 yrs)||500m run||4km bike||500m run||AED 99||AED 110||AED 121|
|Junior Duathlon (12-13, 14-15 yrs)||500m run||7km bike||1km run||AED 99||AED 110||AED 121|
|Kids Triathlon (9-11 yrs)||120m swim||4km bike||1km run||AED 99||AED 110||AED 121|
|Jnr Tri Super Sprint (12-13, 14-15 yrs)||400m swim||10km bike||2.5k run||AED 135||AED 150||AED 165|
|Schools Sprint Individual||750m swim||20km bike||5km run||AED 203||AED 225||AED 248|
|Schools Sprint Team||750m swim||20km bike||5km run||AED 315||AED 350||AED 385|
|ENTRY CATEGORY||VALID THROUGH|
|Earlybird||19 Sept - first 500 entrants or 31 Oct 17 (whichever comes first)|
|Regular||1 Nov 2017 - 28 Jan 2018|
|Late||29 Jan - 27 Feb 2018|
IMPORTANT NOTE: From 1 January 2018, all prices will be subject to value added tax (VAT) inline with the UAE's introduction of VAT.
Where will be event take place and can I check out the course maps?
Taking on feedback from 2017 participants, there will be changes to the age group race courses. Stay tuned - we look forward to announcing the new courses and the venue in November!
What do I get as part of my entry?
Participants will receive an awesome race pack which includes:
- Race number (if you enter before midnight on 28 January 2018 your race number will be personalized with your name)
- Event branded athlete sports bag
- Finishers Medal
- Online certificate
- Swim cap
- Plastic wet/dry bags for transition
- Athlete identification pack including supporter sticker
- Printed athletes' guide
- On-course nutrition
- Secure bag storage zone
- Complimentary post race physio session
- Bike hire
- Complimentary bike transfers for those booking an official Etihad package
- Bike servicing
- Training programs, preparation tips and nutritional guides
- Scheduled group training sessions during event week
- Travel services
- Airport transfer and shuttle services
Can I get a personalised race number?
Yes! If you sign up before midnight on 28 January 2018, your name willl be printed on your race number.
Can I do a triathlon?
With some time and training, anyone can do a triathlon. ITU World Triathlon Series Abu Dhabi is designed to be a mass participation event with distances catering to novice and experienced triathletes.
To complete the Sprint you need to be able to swim 20 lengths of a 25m pool, be able to cycle for 40-60 minutes and then run 30-40 minutes. You can also enter the event in a team and choose one of the disciplines.
What are the ITU World Triathlon Abu Dhabi categories and distances?
- Sprint distance: 750m swim, 20km bike and 5km run (cut off: 2 hours 15 mins)
- Swim cut off: 30 minutes
- Bike cut off: 1 hour
- Run cut off: 45 minutes
- Olympic distance: 1500m swim, 40km bike, 10km run (cut off: 4 hours)
- Swim cut off: 60 minutes
- Bike cut off: 1 hour 40 minutes
- Run cut off: 1 hour 20 minutes
- Middle distance: 1900m swim, 90km bike, 21km run (cut off: 7 hours 30 mins)
- Swim cut off: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Bike cut off: 3 hours 45 minutes
- Run cut off: 2 hours 15 minutes
Drafting is illegal in all the cycle legs of the each race.
What is the age eligibility for each distance?
For the 2018 races, the age eligibilities were as follows:
- Individual Sprint: minimum age 16 @ 31 Dec 2018
- Individual Olympic: minimum age 18 @ 31 Dec 2018
- Individual Middle: minimum age 18 @ 31 Dec 2018
- Team Sprint: minimum age 12 @ 31 Dec 2018
- Team Olympic: minimum age 16 @ 31 Dec 2018
- Team Middle: minimum age 18 @ 31 Dec 2018
What distance should I choose?
For most, the biggest barrier to doing a triathlon is the swim, thus decide which distance you wish to enter based on what distance you feel you would be comfortable swimming. The Sprint distance swim is 750m, the Olympic distance is 1500m and the Middle distance is 1900m.
If you’re just starting out, consider doing the Sprint, with a 750m swim, 20km cycle and 5km run. Even though the 20km cycle and 5km run might not sound that far – doing all three disciplines together will provide a suitable challenge for your first triathlon.
Do I need to have a strong background in one of the events?
You don’t need to have a sporting pedigree to tackle your first triathlon. Be active 3 to 5 times a week, include at least one session of each discipline per week and slowly increase your distances trained. Joining a triathlon/multisport club or getting a basic training program from a coach will aid your preparation for the event.
Must I race as an individual or can I enter in a team?
All race options can be completed as a team relay allowing each participant to complete the discipline they are most comfortable with. The relay format markes the triathlon very manageable for first-timers, giving them a great introduction to the sport and the chance to enjoy participating with family and friends.
Of course - ITU World Triathlon Abu Dhabi caters for individual entries as well as team entries!
Can a team entry consist of 2 participants and not just 3?
Will there by hyrdration on course?
Yes - our team of friendly volunteers will be handing out hydration and fresh fruit along the bike and run course.
Can my children sign up?
Yes! There are multiple distance options for children aged from 5 years:
|RACE CATEGORY||AGE||LEG 1||LEG 2||LEG 3|
|Mini 1km||5-8 yrs||1km run||-||-|
|Kids Duathlon||7-9, 10-11 yrs||500m run||4km bike||500m run|
|Junior Duathlon||12-13, 14-15 yrs||500m run||7km bike||1km run|
|Kids Triathlon||9-11 yrs||120m swim||4km bike||400m run|
|Junior Triathlon Supersprint||12-13, 14-15 yrs||400m swim||10km bike||2.5km run|
|Schools Sprint Individual||16+ years||750m swim||20km bike||5km run|
|Schools Sprint Team||12+ years||750m swim||20km bike||5km run|
Do I need triathlon specific equipment?
While triathlon can be a gear centric sport, it doesn’t have to be. You are welcome to cycle an old mountain bike and run in your favourite pair of shoes. It’s up to you how much you wish to invest. If you want to purchase new equipment for the ITU World Triathlon Abu Dhabi, our partners at On Running will make sure you're running on clouds, and BeSport Bike Shop will sort out your bike for you. Don't forget our official merchandise range in the World Triathlon Store would be more than happy help!
Do I need to buy a wetsuit?
Wetsuits are usually optional for this event, in accordance with the ITU competition rules governing wetsuit use and water temperature. Besides keeping you warm during the swim, wetsuits also assist with buoyancy and help you swim faster.
I don’t have a fancy bike, can one use a mountain bike for the race?
Yes, mountain bikes will be allowed.
Will time trial (TT) bikes be allowed?
Yes, time trial bikes will be allowed as this is a non-drafting event.
Handlebars and wheels that are allowed must comply with the following specifications:
- Wheels must have at least 12 spokes.
- Covers are allowed on the rear wheel. However, this provision may be changed by the Technical Delegate in the interest of safety, i.e. high-winds.
- Only handlebars and clip-on bars not extending beyond the leading edge of the front wheel will be permitted.
- Two piece clip-on bars do not need to be bridged.
- All tube ends must be plugged.
Please refer to the ITU website for more detailed info. Click here for more information.
Can I rent a bike?
Yes! Please contact our partners at BeSport Bike Shop - email firstname.lastname@example.org, copying email@example.com. All children will have the option to rent a complimentary bike from our partners at Cleveland Clinic.
What is deemed to be Illegal equipment in a Triathlon event?
Illegal equipment includes, but is not limited to:
- Headphone(s) or headset(s)
- Glass containers
- Mobile phone(s) or any other electronic listening communication device
- Cameras and GoPro’s or similar
Must the event disclaimer be signed by all?
Yes, every individual and every team member must complete the event disclaimer - if you are signing up online, you will check a box to agree to the event disclaimer. Those signing up in person, either pre-event or those signing up during event week in the Athletes Village, must sign a physical dislaimer form. Entrants 18 and younger must have it signed by a parent or legal guardian. All team members must be at registration to collect race packs. Identification will need to be produced at registration for entry verification.
Will there be start waves, and how will these be determined?
Yes, there will be start waves for all races – Sprint, Olympic and Middle distances - as well as dedicated waves for para athletes.
Waves will be determined according to various categories such as age groups and gender. Start waves will be communicated once entries have closed, prior to race registration.
May I start in another start wave?
No, the various categories are pre allocated a start wave each with a specific start time. This could lead to a disqualification.
I have entered as an individual along with my friends/family, why are we in different start groups?
The start group times are allocated according to gender and age groups, which means that if you and your friends or family are of various ages and genders you might not be able to start in the same start groups.
When do I check in my bike?
All bike racking will take place on Friday 2 March 2018.
What to do when checking in bike?
Please ensure that you:
- Wear your bike helmet, fastened on your head, when you come into check-in
- Please also bring with any equipment you need into transition
- Please note that no bags will be allowed to be left in the Transition Area
- Please make sure your helmet, bike and transition bag are clearly marked with the stickers provided - wristbands must be worn in order to check-in and check-out your bike, and must correspond to the race numbers on your helmet and bike
- Ensure that your handle bars are plugged for safety reasons
Our partners, BeSport Bike Shop, will be located near to bike check-in for any last minute tweaks.
Drafting, when will this be allowed, and when not?
Drafting is illegal in all races.
Why do the Cycle and Run courses consist of laps?
The World Triathlon Series is an international series comprising of 9 events around the world. The series attracts and hosts the top ranked international triathletes, as well as complete novices to the seasoned and competitive triathletes in the various age groups.
- Including laps into the route ensures that the race is contained, making public engagement more accessible with the opportunity to view and get to know the athletes that we ordinarily only see on TV. Furthermore, loyal supporters, family and friends of all athletes have the opportunity to see and interact with their athletes more often.
- The safety of our participants will always remain our primary consideration.
- The World Triathlon Series also has various events taking place over the entire weekend, and the length of the course takes into consideration access requirements for residence, bus routes and other City users.
Is there a cut off time?
Yes - each race distance must be completed within the following set times:
- SPRINT - 2 hours, 15 minutes
- OLYMPIC - 4 hours
- MIDDLE - 7 hours, 30 minutes
If you are unable to complete your race within the allocated time frame, you will be asked to leave the course and your result will be listed as DNF (Did Not Finish).
Will the age groupers receive splits for the separate legs swim/bike/run?
Age groupers will receive time splits. There will be a timing mat at the entrance and exit of transition and at the race finish. There will be additional timing to record cycle and run laps as well.
When can I enter?
Entries for the 2018 ITU World Triathlon Abu Dhabi, taking place 2 and 3 March 2018 are now open - click HERE to sign up. You can take advantage of our special earlbird offer until 31 October 2017 or until earlybird slots fill up (whichever comes first):
|ENTRY CATEGORY||VALID THROUGH|
|Earlybird||19 Sept - 31 Oct 2017 (or until 500 earlybird entries fill up)|
|Regular||1 Nov 2017 - 28 Jan 2018|
|Late||29 Jan - 28 Feb 2018|
For those travelling from overseas, packages are already on sale - please email ITUTriathlonAUH@etihad.ae.
Is it possible for me to cancel my race entry? And what is the policy on refunds?
You are able to cancel/credit registrations up to the cut-off date of midnight on 31 January 2018. Thereafter entry fees will not be refundable. Cancelled registration fees will be credited back to your payment card minus an Online Credit processing fee of 50 AED or 8% (whichever is greater) or to your Online Credit (minus 30 AED processing fee). You can use that Online Credit on any other event listed on Premier Online. Premier Online also gives you the option to purchase a Zero Charge Refund Cover at checkout which guarantees that you will get 100% of your registration fee refunded if you have to cancel before the cut-off date.
Cancellations can only be made online and by the person who made the original registration.
Can my entry for this year’s event be deferred to next year’s event?
No – participants cannot defer their entry to 2019.
Is it possible to transfer my entry to someone else?
No – participants cannot transfer their entry to another athlete.
Is it possible to convert my entry either from a Sprint, Olympic or Maxi Distance to another Distance?
Participants can request to transfer their entry between event distances up until the cut-off date of 31 January 2018. Subject to availability, should you decide to upgrade from the Sprint to Olympic distance or Olympic to Middle distance, you will need to pay the difference in entry fees. In the event of changing down from Middle to Olympic, or Olympic to Sprint distance, we will not be able to refund the difference in entry fee. In each case, a processing fee of 30 AED will be payable.
Do I need to pay a day licence fee?
No, you will not need to pay a day licence to compete in this event.
I have not received an email confirmation that I have registered?
Please contact race office via email firstname.lastname@example.org, and they will send you a confirmation email.
When and where do I pick up my race pack?
Race pack pick-up will take place in the days leading up to the event – stay tuned, full details will be provided in February 2018. Taking on feedback from 2017 participants, we are also re-introducing a Dubai race pack pick-up option to give participants the option to pick up from either Dubai or Abu Dhabi.
Can I pick up a race pack for a friend?
You can ask a friend to collect your race pack for you if you comply with the following:
Athlete provides a signed letter or e-mail showing contact details, and the following:
- Athlete’s ID or Passport number
- Permission for the friend to collect on their behalf
- Friends full name that is collecting for them
- Friend’s ID or Passport number
SPONSORS AND PARTNERS
My brand would like to sponsor the ITU World Triathlon Abu Dhabi - how can we get involved?
If your brand would like to be associated with the pinnacle of world triathlon, we have several packages available from exhibitors to sponsors. Contact email@example.com for more information.