Where and when will the event take place?
The ITU World Triathlon Abu Dhabi is coming back to Yas Island on 5 - 7 March 2020.
What are the race categories, and how much are they to enter?
We have races for all ages and abilities – both junior and adult, as well as a dedicated wave for para-athletes. Click here to view our race categories and entry prices.
Can I sign up?
Yes - click here to sign up.
What is the Para Race Category?
The ITU World Triathlon Abu Dhabi will host a dedicated wave for para triathletes, with the following para-athlete categories:
- PTWC/PTHC: This category includes athletes who predominantly use a wheelchair for their daily ambulation. This includes athletes with comparable activity limitation and an impairment of, but not limited to: muscle power, limb deficiency, hypertonia, ataxia, and athetosis. Severe cerebral palsy athletes will use a recumbent hand-cycle on the bike course and a racing wheelchair on the run segment. It is divided into two subclasses, H1 which is the most impaired and H2 being the least impaired.
- PST2: This category includes athletes with comparable activity limitation and an impairment of, but not limited to, limb deficiency, hypertonia, ataxia and or athetosis, impaired muscle power or range of movement. Common health conditions could include a complete brachial plexus, above elbow amputee, double below knee amputee or severe cerebral palsy. In both bike and run segments, amputee athletes may use approved prosthesis or other supportive devices.
- PST3: Common health conditions could include partial brachial plexus, moderate multiple limb impairments or moderate cerebral palsy. In both bike and run segments, the athlete may use approved prosthesis or other supportive devices.
- PST4: Common health conditions could include a below knee amputee, below elbow amputee and mild cerebral palsy. In both bike and run segments, the athlete may use approved prosthesis or other supportive devices.
- PST5: Common health conditions could include a below knee amputee, below elbow amputee and mild cerebral palsy. In both bike and run segments, the athlete may use approved prosthesis or other supportive devices
- PTVI: This category includes athletes with total or Partial Visual Impairment (IBSA/IPC defined subclasses B1, B2, and B3): To be eligible, athletes must meet the criteria outlined below. One guide is mandatory throughout the race and each competitor must ride a tandem during the bike segment.
- B1: Visual acuity poorer than LogMAR 2.60
- B2: Visual acuity ranging from LogMAR 1.50 to 2.60 (inclusive) and/or visual field constricted to a diameter of less than 10 degrees
- B3: Visual acuity ranging from LogMAR 1.40 to 1 (inclusive) and/or visual field constricted to a diameter of less than 40 degrees.
When is each race taking place?
- Age Group Super Sprint including Athletes of Determination wave: Friday 6 March 2020
- Age Group and Junior Sprint, including Athletes of Determination wave: Saturday 7 March 2020
- Age Group Olympic: Saturday 7 March 2020
- Junior Races: Friday 6 March 2020
Must I race as an individual or can I enter as part of a team?
All race options can be completed as an individual or as a team relay of 2 to 3 athletes. The relay allows each participant to complete the discipline they are most comfortable with and makes the triathlon very manageable for first-timers. It gives new triathletes a great introduction to the wonderful sport and the chance to enjoy participating with family and friends.
Can a team entry consist of 2 participants and not just 3?
Yes! A team can have 2 participants where one person can do 2 legs of the event. Or include up to 3 participants all carrying out 1 discipline each.
What is the age eligibility for each distance?
For the 2019 races, the age eligibilities were as follows:
- Individual Super Sprint: minimum age 16
- Team Super Sprint: minimum age 16*
- Individual Sprint: minimum age 16
- Team Sprint: minimum age 16**
- Individual Para Sprint: minimum age 16
- Individual Olympic: minimum age 18
- Team Olympic: minimum age 18***
All ages are as of 31 December 2020.
* Super Sprint Teams may include children aged 12+ years providing at least 1 member of the team is 16+ years
** Sprint Teams may include children aged 14+ years providing at least 1 member of the team is 16+ years. Any teams competing with adults will not be eligible for any prizes in the Junior Sprint Category.
*** Olympic Teams may include children aged 16+ years providing at least 1 member of the team is 18+ years.
Can my children sign up?
Yes absolutely - we welcome Tiny Triathletes! There are multiple distance options for children of all ages from 7 years – click here for more information on our junior race categories.
I am booking for a large group. Can you facilitate the process?
Yes! Please get in touch with email@example.com .
For those travelling from overseas, you can book your accomodation and athlete services package here.
What do I get as part of my entry?
Age group participants received a unique WTS Abu Dhabi 2020 race pack which included:
- Race Number
- Event Branded race bag
- Finishers Medal
- Online certificate
- Swim cap
- Athlete Identification Pack including supporter sticker
- Athletes' guide
- Secure bag storage zone
Additional Athlete Services include:
- Bike servicing, boxing and unboxing, and rental from our fantastic partners at Yas Cycles. Click here to book.
- Training program and preparation tips from our technical partners including BMC and On Running. Click here for details.
- Nutritional guidance from partners Gu. Click here for details
- Event Week – Scheduled group training sessions
- Travel services
- Airport transfer and shuttle services
I have not received an email confirmation that I have registered?
Please contact the race office via email firstname.lastname@example.org and they will send you a confirmation email.
Can my entry for this year’s event be deferred to next year’s event?
No – participants cannot defer their entry to 2021.
Is it possible to transfer my entry to someone else?
No – participants cannot transfer their entry to another athlete.
Is it possible to convert my entry either from a Super Sprint, Sprint or Olympic to another Distance?
Participants could have requested to transfer their entry between event distances up until the cut-off date of 31 January 2020. Subject to availability, should you decide to upgrade from the Super Sprint to the Sprint or Sprint to Olympic, you will need to pay the difference in entry fees. In the event of changing down from Olympic to Sprint, or Sprint to Super Sprint distance, we will not be able to refund the difference in entry fee.
In each case above, a processing fee of 30 AED will be payable.
Please email email@example.com if you wish to transfer from one race category to another. State your current race category and which race you wish to move to.
Is it possible for me to cancel my race entry? And what is the policy on refunds?
Online Payments via TELR. Gulf Multi Sport and Race Results (our online entry portal provider) will only validate, accept and confirm your registration/purchase attempt(s) upon receipt and clearance of the full amount of due funds by card payment of Online Credit.
Registration/purchase attempts that remain unconfirmed within the stipulated time period will be automatically cancelled and removed from the system.
You were able to cancel registrations up to the cut-off date of midnight on 31 January 2020. Thereafter entry fees will not be refundable.
Cancelled registration fees will be credited back to your payment card minus an Online Credit processing fee of 30 AED or 5% (whichever is greater).
Cancellations can only be made online and by the person who made the original registration.
If you wish to go ahead and cancel your entry (we'll be sad to see you go!) please email firstname.lastname@example.org who will process your refund subject to your request date. All cancellation requests must be submitted BEFORE the 31st January 2020.
Do I need to pay a day license fee?
No, you will not need to pay a day license to compete in this event.
When and where do I pick up my race pack?
12pm - 8pm, Tuesday 3 March: Dubai (venue TBC)
10am - 8pm, Thursday 5 March: Event Village, Yas Marina Circuit, Yas Island
1Friday 6 March (Sprint and Olympic only): Event Village, Yas Marina Circuit, Yas Island
Can I pick up a race pack for a friend?
You can ask a friend to collect your race pack for you if you comply with the following:
- Athlete provides a signed letter or e-mail showing contact details and permission from friend to collect on their behalf
- Athlete’s ID or Passport copy
Must the event disclaimer be signed by all?
Yes, every individual and every team member must complete the event disclaimer - if you are signing up online, you will check a box to agree to the event disclaimer. Those signing up in person, either pre-event or those signing up during event week in the Athletes Village, must sign a physical disclaimer form.
Entrants 18 and younger must have it signed by a parent or legal guardian. All team members must be at registration to collect race packs. Identification will need to be produced at registration for entry verification.
What to do when checking in my bike?
Stay tuned - scheduling details for our 2020 races will be announced in January.
Please ensure that you follow the below rules when checking in your bike:
- Wear your bike helmet, fastened on your head, when you come into check-in
- Please bring with any equipment you need to race into transition
- Please note that no bags will be allowed to be left in the Transition Area
- Please make sure your helmet, bike and transition bag are clearly marked with the stickers provided - wristbands must be worn to check-in and check-out your bike, and must correspond to the race numbers on your helmet and bike
- Ensure that your handle bars are plugged for safety reasons
Our bike partner will be located near to bike check-in for any last-minute tweaks.
Will there be start waves, and how will these be determined?
Yes, there will be start waves for all races – Super Sprint, Sprint and Olympic distances.
The waves will be determined according to various categories such as age groups and gender. There will also be dedicated waves for para athletes. Start waves will be communicated once entries have closed, prior to race registration.
Just like 2019, we will be continuing with ‘rolling swim starts’ within these waves. This is where triathletes line up in smaller groups and in turn enter the water down a gripped ramp rather than a large group setting off all at once. The idea is to make the swim leg much less intimidating.
May I start in another start wave?
No, the various categories are pre-allocated a start wave each with a specific start time. Not complying with this rule could lead to a disqualification.
I have entered as an individual along with my friends/family, why are we in different start groups?
The start group times are allocated according to gender and age groups, which means that if you and your friends or family are of various ages and genders you might not be able to start in the same start groups.
Drafting, when will this be allowed, and when not?
Drafting is illegal in the cycling leg of all races.
Why do the Cycle and Run courses consist of laps?
The World Triathlon Series is an international series comprising of 8 events around the world. The series attracts and hosts the top ranked international triathletes, as well as complete novices to the seasoned and competitive triathletes in the various age groups.
Including laps into the route ensures that the race is contained, making public engagement more accessible with the opportunity to view and get to know the athletes that we ordinarily only see on TV. Furthermore, loyal supporters, family and friends of all athletes can see and interact with their athletes more often.
The safety of our participants will always remain our primary consideration.
The World Triathlon Series also has various events taking place over the entire weekend, and the length of the course takes into consideration access requirements for residents, bus routes and other venue users.
Is there a cut off time?
Yes - each race distance must be completed within the following set times:
- Super Sprint distance: 400m swim / 10km bike / 2.5km run (cut off: 1 hour 20 mins)
- Swim cut off: 20 minutes
- Bike cut off: 40 minutes
- Run cut off: 20 minutes
- Sprint distance: 750m swim, 20km bike and 5km run (cut off: 2 hours 15 mins)
- Swim cut off: 30 minutes
- Bike cut off: 1 hour
- Run cut off: 45 minutes
- Olympic distance: 1500m swim, 40km bike, 10km run (cut off: 4 hours)
- Swim cut off: 60 minutes
- Bike cut off: 1 hour 40 minutes
- Run cut off: 1 hour 20 minutes
If you are unable to complete your race within the allocated time frame, you will be asked to leave the course and your result will be listed as DNF (Did Not Finish).
Will the age groupers receive splits for the separate legs swim/bike/run?
Age groupers will receive time splits. There will be a timing mat at the entrance and exit of transition and at the race finish. There will be additional timing to record cycle and run laps as well.
Will there be hydration on course?
Yes - our team of friendly volunteers will be handing out hydration and fresh fruit along the bike and run course. Aqualyte, Mule Bars and Gu Gels will also be available at these recovery stations.
Do I need a wetsuit?
Wetsuits are usually optional for this event, in accordance with the ITU competition rules which govern wetsuit use and water temperature. Besides keeping you warm during the swim, wetsuits also assist with buoyancy, protect you from UV rays and help you swim faster.
The team of technical officials will announce the water temperature and therefore whether the race is wetsuit legal on event weekend.
What kind of bikes can be used for the race?
Road Bikes, Time Trial (TT) Bikes, Mountain Bikes, and Hybrid Bikes will be allowed.
If you want to purchase or rent equipment for the ITU World Triathlon Abu Dhabi, our partners would be more than happy to help you. Email email@example.com for more details.
Handlebars and wheels specifications:
Wheels must have at least 12 spokes.
Covers are allowed on the rear wheel. However, this provision may be changed by the Technical Delegate in the interest of safety, i.e. high-winds.
Only handlebars and clip-on bars not extending beyond the leading edge of the front wheel will be permitted.
Two-piece clip-on bars do not need to be bridged.
All tube ends must be plugged.
Can I rent a bike?
Click here to rent a bike.
What is deemed to be Illegal equipment in a Triathlon event?
Illegal equipment includes, but is not limited to:
- Headphone(s) or headset(s)
- Glass containers
- Mobile phone(s) or any other electronic listening communication device
- Cameras and GoPro’s or similar
These items can be left in the ‘bag drop’ zone. This is a staffed tent whereby you drop your bag off with your bag sticker.
What do I get if I win?
A huge amount of satisfaction and hunger for the next triathlon! Plus, everyone who finishes receives a medal. Podium medalists get a call up to the stage and presented their medal, then have their photo taken.
I Haven't Done a Triathlon Before - Can I Sign Up?
With some time and training, anyone can do a triathlon. ITU World Triathlon Series Abu Dhabi is designed to be a mass participation event with distances catering to novice and experienced triathletes.
We have specifically introduced a Super Sprint category to make the event more accessible to ‘newbies’. To complete the Super Sprint you need to be able to swim 15 lengths of a 25m pool, be able to cycle for 20-30 minutes and then run 15-20 minutes. You can also enter the event as part of a team and choose one or two of the disciplines, depending on your team size (min 2- max 3).
Check out our top tips for First-Timers here.
I Have Some Lost Property - What Do I Do?
If you have misplaced personal property, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with details of what is lost.
Are there Partner Packages Available?
Yes! If your brand would like to be associated with the pinnacle of world triathlon, we have several packages available from exhibitors to sponsors. Contact email@example.com and a member of the team will be in touch.