Part of the International Triathlon Union (ITU) and the World Triathlon Series (WTS) season-opener, the ITU World Triathlon Abu Dhabi has become one of the highlights of the UAE’s sporting calendar since its inaugural event in 2015 and has grown to become the Gulf region’s most popular annual challenge for professionals, seasoned triathletes and first-timers alike.
The highly-anticipated event will take place at the emirate’s signature sporting venue, Yas Island, on 3 and 4 March 2017 where amateurs triathletes will compete on the same course as World Champions and Olympic medallists. The event is expected to witness over 3,000 athletes descend on the Island across elite, age-grouper and junior races.
Abu Dhabi has been hosting world-class triathlons for over a decade and the UAE capital has swiftly established itself as a favourite off-season training destination amongst elite triathletes such as two-time Olympic gold medallist Alistair Brownlee who called it the 'perfect winter training destination'.
During the off season when the best talents in the sport are looking to escape the harsh winter in Europe, Abu Dhabi offers a warm haven that is home to some of the world's best training facilities and scenic training courses. The capital also boasts a number of triathlon clubs that offer beginners and seasoned triathletes the chance to hone their skills and train with the wider triathlon community. Click here to see where you can train in the lead up to the ITU World Triathlon Abu Dhabi.
Professionals and amateurs looking to kick off their triathlon season at the ITU World Triathlon Abu Dhabi can expect a truly unique course which winds around many of Yas Island’s key landmarks including swimming in Yas Marina; cycling around Yas Marina Circuit’s F1 track, Yas Waterworld, Yas Links, Yas Mall and Ferrari World; before embarking on a run around the island.
There are three distance options available for amateur adults, which can be completed individually or as part of a team:
- Sprint: 750m swim, 20km bike, 5km run
- Olympic: 1500m swim, 40km bike, 10km run
- Maxi: 1500m swim, 80km bike, 20km run
There are also junior races available for tiny triathletes from age 5 years and up, along with a host of entertainment and activities for the whole family across the weekend.
International and local packages are available for all those taking part in the race, and their friends and family, through our partners at Hala. Package options include an array of outstanding 3, 4 and 5-star hotel options, all located on Yas Island. All hotels have access to an array of world-class restaurants and entertainment attractions - as well as the full ITU World Triathlon Abu Dhabi event village, bike racking, start and finish line, and spectator areas. Click here for more information about our packages.
About Yas Island
Experience out of this world attractions, pristine beaches and the warmth of Emirati hospitality on an extraordinary island in the sparkling Arabian Gulf.
- Events: Yas Island plays hosts to live concerts, theatrical performances and spectacular sporting events including the Formula 1 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix. The Yas Island calendar is packed with fantastic spectacles that will leave you breathless including on Thursday 1 March, music legend Rod Stewart will play live in concert just moments from the race hotels!
- Hotels: When it comes to accommodation, Yas Island boasts quite a range of hotels. From indulgent luxury to family-friendly venues, all come with the plumpest of pillows and the most pleasing of panoramas.
- Dining: Yas Island caters to all your food desires! There are more than 160 restaurants and bars to take your pick from, showcasing the best world cuisine, latest culinary trends and top cooking talent. From Mediterranean to Indian, hearty American to sophisticated Japanese, and everything in between, you will be spoiled for choice of your life. ITU World Triathlon Abu Dhabi participants will find discount vouchers to many of the restaurants in your race packs.
- Lifestyle: Recharge in our spas, play a round of golf (ITU World Triathlon Abu Dhabi participants receive preferential green fees at Yas Links!), relax on Yas Beach, thrill seek at Yas Waterworld and Ferrari World (ITU World Triathlon Abu Dhabi participants receive 50% off their entry to both theme parks for themselves AND three friends!) or sign up for a fitness activities at the Yas Marina Circuit.
- Shopping: This is the place to shop till you drop! Yas Mall is bulging with all the latest brands, plus we have an IKEA and an ACE Hardware for all your home furnishing and DIY needs.
Click here to view the Yas Island visitor guide for more information on the island!
Entries are now open for the ITU World Triathlon Series season opener in the UAE capital. Register for the 3 and 4 March event and experience world-class hospitality in a destination like no other. Click here to register.